Thursday, May 31, 2012

Sodomite -- first attempt

I think there should be a cocktail called a Sodomite.  There isn't one yet, as far as I can tell.  So I'm trying to come up with a recipe, hopefully something I'll like to drink (so that leaves out things like whiskey, even though whiskey would make a great ingredient in a drink called a Sodomite) and also something that can be made with what I have in the house, since I'm a cheap bastard and don't want to buy a thousand different kinds of liquor.  I did buy maraschino cherries (with stems) because they seemed necessary.

So tonight's attempt:

1 part pomegranate juice
1 part Absolute Citron vodka
2 parts Canada Dry Bitter Lemon
1 maraschino cherry

Served in a champage flute

was, as I had feared, too sweet.  I do like the pomegranate juice, though -- it gives it a nice deep color.

Next time, I'm going to try the same first two ingredients but use tonic instead of the bitter lemon, with maybe a squeeze of lemon or lime in it.  And if that's STILL too sweet, then move down to club soda.

Any suggestions for other ingredients?  I believe I have Peach schnapps and Cointreau in the cupboard, as well as Kahulua and gin.  Irish cream in the fridge.  A tiny, unopened bottle of Absinthe we brought back from Italy, but if it's anything like the fake Absinthe I had in New Orleans, it will probably stay unopened -- the drink they made with it there was so disgusting I had to pour most of it into the sewer.

No comments:

Post a Comment